Special Education Paraprofessional
Assists in the instruction of individual students or small groups in activities designed to promote educational, social, and physical growth needed to achieve the skill levels as identified in each student’s individual education programs, IEP.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assists the classroom teacher in planning and preparing materials for individual and group activities.
- Assists in the implementation of instructional programs for students under the supervision of the classroom teacher and/or Principal.
- Implements therapeutic programs for students under the direction of a therapist and/or classroom teacher.
- Implements behavior intervention techniques under the direction of the teacher and Director of Behavioral Services.
- Maintains accurate records on all students assigned to the program.
- Maintains a clean, safe and stimulating environment for students
- Maintains regular attendance.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE:
A minimum of a High School or General Equivalency Diploma. Experience working with special needs children preferred.
Ability to respond to common inquiries from immediate supervisors and to communicate with co-workers regarding student issues. Ability to read, analyze, interpret, and complete educational documents used in the school setting.
Ability to define problems collects data, establish facts and draw valid conclusions.
During the course of the workday, the employee is frequently walking and standing while performing the duties of this job. The employee may frequently bend or twist at the neck and back; reach with hands and arms; climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl while performing the duties of this job. The employee is regularly required to use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this job include peripheral vision, close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
- Assist teacher in the preparation of materials and activities designed to meet the physical, emotional, educational, and creative needs of students.
- Assists teacher in organizing and following classroom schedules and daily lesson plans.
- Assists teacher in establishing a classroom environment conductive to maximum learning by maintaining classroom structure and directing/cueing students to socially appropriate behavior.
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of material or skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assists the teacher in the implementation of student’s therapeutic programs throughout the school day.
- Implements approved behavior management programs.
- Assists with the supervision of students during arrival and dismissal, emergency drills, assemblies, play periods, field trips and at all other times during the school day.
- Alerts the teacher to any problem or special information about an individual student.
- Maintains dignity of students and confidentiality of information about students.
- Assists students with personal hygiene and toilet routines.
- Assists students with meals, snacks, drinks, and clean up routines.
- Assists in the collection and review of educational, behavioral, and therapy data. Assists the teacher in evaluating student progress in meeting individual education plan (IEP) goals and objectives.
- Assists in keeping bulletin board and other classroom learning displays up to date.
- Assists teacher in the utilization of classroom equipment and materials.
- Assists teacher in ensuring proper maintenance of classroom and school facilities and reports to teacher any property damage, safety hazards, etc.
- Attends meetings, in-services, and serves on staff committees as required.
- Performs related duties, special assignments, and projects that may be assigned.
Interested participants can email or fax cover letter and resume to:
Integrated Education Services
21639 N. 12th Ave. Suite 204
Phoenix, AZ. 85027